This takes a little time and there are several steps but this sauce is insanely versatile and delicious. The bit of alcohol will release the hidden flavors of the tomatoes!
Author: Chris Carlson
Recipe type: Sauce
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole, peeled tomatoes
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup Chipotle wine
- In a sieve over a medium non-reactive saucepot, strain the tomatoes of their juice into the sauce pot. Add the sherry vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes, oregano, and basil to the tomato juice. Stir and cook over high heat. Once bubbles begin to form on the surface, reduce to a simmer. Allow liquid to reduce by ½ or until liquid has thickened to a loose syrup consistency.
- Squeeze each tomato thoroughly to ensure most seeds are removed. Set the tomatoes aside.
- Cut carrot, onion, and celery into uniform sizes and combine with olive oil and garlic in a non-reactive roasting pan over low heat. Sweat the mirepoix until the carrots are tender and the onion becomes translucent, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes and capers to the roasting pan.
- Place roasting pan on the middle rack of the oven and broil for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Tomatoes should start to brown slightly on edges with light caramelization. Remove the pan from the broiler. Place the pan over 2 burners on the stove. Add the Chipotle wine to the tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes over medium heat.
- Put the tomatoes into a deep pot or bowl and add the reduced tomato liquid to the tomatoes. Blend to desired consistency and adjust seasoning.
Jalapeño Wine Lemonade
Despite his sour appearance, this traveler is certain to be the talk of every get-together. He’s part Mississippi plantation, part Rocky Mountain foothills. A vacationer at heart, he’s a free spirit who can’t be boxed in or bottled up and always delivers the entertaining twist needed to turn ordinary occasions into unforgettable escapes.
Seasonal releases in Watermelon, Strawberry, and teas!